Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Random Halloween Stuff Day 1: Meet Butch from Chopping Block

One thing I really dig that I don't end up talking a lot about is the one panel comic.  When I was a kid, one of my favorite things to do was read the comics in the newspaper.  I read them every day.   They were yet another realm that, like TV shows, advertisements, and store shelves, became more and more obsessed with Halloween the closer it got.   I dug the strips like Garfield, Fox Trot, Calvin and Hobbs, etc, but I also loved the one panel comics like Far Side (which I rarely understood back then) and Family Circus.  As I grew older, I came to really respect the art form.  It's one thing to develop a joke over the course of a strip, but to convey the joke with just one image and one caption is a whole other art form.  That's one of the reasons I love Chopping Block.
Chopping Block is a web comic written and drawn by Lee Adam Herold.  You can check it out HERE.  It follows the misadventures of Butch, your average, everyday homicidal, hockey mask wearing, devil worshiping, "dead mother in the attic" maniac.  The release dates of the comics are pretty sporadic, but there's an archive going all the way back to 2000 to explore.  Sometimes Herold does Halloween theme months in October, sometimes not, but it's always ghastly fun watching Butch do his thing.  This comic was tailor made for us sick freaks, our morbid senses of humor, and out familiarity with slasher flick tropes.  I've picked out some of my particular favorite Halloween themed CB's for you today Cellmates.  After they tickle that funny bone, they'll probably chop it off.  Enjoy...

(By the way, this first one is my personal favorite.)



28 days ‘til Halloween, Halloween, Halloween.  28 days ‘til Halloween.  Silver Shamrock!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I never saw that comic in the paper! How did I miss it?! I used to read the comics EVERY Sunday!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...