Monday, October 21, 2013

What Halloween Means To Me '13 Day 21: Fred Vogel


There aren’t a lot of bigger names in underground horror than Fred Vogel.  He and his TOETAG INC. compatriots have been turning out extreme cinema and gut-churning effects work for over a decade now.  His infamous August Underground trilogy is still routinely named on “most disturbing movies” lists (particularly Mordum).  I think that Fred’s influence on independent horror is more widespread than he often gets credit for.  I personally know of quite a few filmmakers who picked up a camera at least partially because they were inspired by what TOETAG accomplished, and the influence is obvious in the work of many, many more who won’t admit to it.  I hope to meet the man at Days of the Dead Atlanta in February and maybe ask him a few questions, but for now I only have one… Fred, what does Halloween mean to you?

Fred as the Frankenstein Monster - 1983
“I knew at an early age that Halloween was my favorite holiday. To me it was better than all the gifts you get on Christmas or all the Chocolate Bunnies you can eat on Easter. It was a holiday that let me express my love for the macabre. I was into horror at an early age being influenced by James Whale’s 1931 classic Frankenstein. The Frankenstein Monster was my go to costume. I would spend hours in my bathroom practicing in the mirror making myself up with grease-paint. It was the beginning of me honing my make-up skills. I couldn’t wait to unveil my costume to my friends; I would stay in character all night going from house to house. I might be to old to Trick or Treat nowadays but that doesn’t stop me from dressing up in costume to celebrate my favorite night of the year, Halloween.”

 10 more days ‘til Halloween, Halloween, Halloween.  10 more days ‘til Halloween, Silver Shamrock.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...